Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wondering

Well, I am starting to wonder if, perhaps, I've missed a window of opportunity with Ellie and potty training. Last week she peed and pooped in the potty (not all day but once or twice each day) and now she'll sit on the potty but then she'll say I don't have to go. Perhaps I didn't push it enough or maybe I pushed too much?! We bought big girl panties hoping it would motivate her even more but it really didn't seem to do anything. We've talked about being able to paint her toenails once she goes potty all the time but, again, doesn't seem to matter. I did start giving her a gummy bear when she goes on the potty but even that doesn't seem to make her want to do it more - although she definitely wants it when she goes! Both the boys were almost 3 1/2 when they were potty trained so I didn't even have it in my mind - she's the one that started. I suppose we'll see. I did buy her some pull-ups today and we may try those tomorrow just to see.

The other day in the car (Saturday) it was just Ellie and I and she was being quiet. Then, all of a sudden she asks me "Are you little?" I have no idea what might have prompted her to asking me this or in what way she was thinking so I just said "Well, I'm short but I'm a big girl." I can't help but wonder what goes on in her two year old mind! She just amazes me with her vocabulary and her level of understanding.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to make a child STOP talking when he shouldn't be? That has been mine and Brian's biggest frustration with Ian for the last few months. He argues and talks when he really shouldn't and we'll tell him to stop talking and he'll just keep going or have ONE more thing to say. Hmph. I'm at my wits end. I feel like we're constantly telling him to STOP talking but I'm afraid that could backfire. We give him Bible verses and he prays about it but he continues. I pray I'm doing all that I should be to help him learn how to be obedient and not always talk when he shouldn't be.

4 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

We're working on potty-training Grace right now too. I was going to post about it, but I just ahven't had the time. I think she was more interested back in the end of August, but we were going to be traveling several weekends in a row, so it wasn't convenient for me. Now there's really never a good time, since you need a few days at home in a row, and we have all these co-ops this year, which really break up our week. When we are home, she has been wearing panties, but this morning she did poop in them, which hasn't happened before. Usually she poops in her diaper before I can get underwear on her, LOL. But it made a big impression on her ("Yucky!!"), so I'm hopeful she won't do that too many more times. I think you have to put them in panties, and they have to have a few accidents, before they really own the process. It's frustrating! And now, with so many others, I forget to remind her about going. She's my 6th one to train--you'd think I would have this down to a science now! No such luck, LOL.

Joy said...

Well, Claire, I'm glad to hear it - it really is reassuring!

John, Kristen, Luke & Paden said...

OMG! I completely feel your frustrations -- with both potty training and talking, only I have it all in one child at the moment! I'm trying not to push Luke (he'll only be 3 in November) but all the other kids in his class are potty-trained and I had hoped he would show interest. Alas, it's a daily struggle of "I can't." Please share your tips when things start to "fall into place" for you! I do eat up suggestions!

Beverly said...

All I can say is, good luck with both issues! Kenna is actually doing pretty well, even going poop and wiping herself--yikes! I'm trying to stay on top of it. She is VERY motivated by wearing pull-ups. I put her back in a diaper if she pees or poops in a pull-up, and that seems to be motivating for her. After she pees in the potty upon waking up in the morning, she brings me her wet diaper from the night and says, "Pu-yup!!!"

I'm with Claire, though, it's easy to get sidetracked with all the other chaos going on here. :-)