Monday, October 19, 2009

Eliana and her paci

Well, the day finally arrived for us to say goodbye to Ellie's pacis. We had planned to take them away after her 2nd birthday like we did with Ian but because she was still teething and really seemed to "need" them more than Ian, we kept putting it off. I did keep telling her that they were going to have to go soon because she is getting to be a "big" girl and we discussed giving them to a baby. Well, a boy in her Sunday school class, Jacob, must have a new baby sister because Ellie has talked about giving her pacis to her. Yesterday as we were getting ready for church she said, I give my pacis away? I asked her, "Are you ready to give them all away?" She nodded her head so we got them ready and put them in a plastic bag to take with us the downside was (we have four of them) we were missing one - couldn't find it anywhere! On the way to church, though, we realized we'd forgotten the bag BUT Ellie didn't seem to remember. When we got home from church she was in the play room and got all excited and came to show me she'd found the missing paci! I said, well, we should put it away, too! So, Brian put it in the bag with the others and hid the bag somewhere. After we got home from the pumpkin patch and tried to put her down for a nap she asked for her paci. I said, "Remember we gave them away?" To which she replied, "I want the yellow one (the one she'd found)!" I said, "No, I put that one away, too." Needless to say she cried for quite a while before she finally went to sleep and then we had to wake her up around 5 because we had some company over for dinner last night. Boy was she grumpy when we first got her up! Last night I put her to bed without her paci and wondered how the night would go. She did cry for a while before she went to sleep but I didn't hear her in the middle of the night and she wasn't up early asking for it, either! YAY! Today there has been no mention on the paci but at naptime she cried for TWO hours before she finally gave in and went to sleep! I will say, though, that she never asked me for the paci! I'm hoping that she'll be like Ian and after a couple of days of this, she'll get over it and not have to cry herself to sleep every time. So, we're definitely making progress and she's becoming a "big, little" girl!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Yay! I think it was harder on me to have Kenna give up her pacifier than it was on her, LOL. I was terrified she wouldn't sleep well anymore, as she had been such a good napper and night sleeper. She went the longest with the pacifier out of our first 4, but she did fine once we "pulled the plug!" Not sure how we'll do it with Lucan...he's getting to be about the age that the first 3 were when they gave theirs up!