Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Couple of Random Thoughts

Okay, although I've shared various facts about our life lately, I haven't really had a chance to sit down and "blog" and right now the house is quiet and I thought it a perfect time to do so. What's on my mind, you might ask? Nothing in particular yet a lot of things.

I wanted to make some more comments about our Easter. I don't know if you noticed from the pictures or not, but purple was our "color" this year. Last year our color was green. I had really wanted to do purple last year but then I realized I was going to have a baby girl and wouldn't it be better to do purple when I actually had a little girl to dress? So, last year I wore a polka dot green dress and a dear friend made the comment to me, "Joy, please don't take this wrong but you look like a beautiful Easter egg!!" I laughed. Anyway, this year I was determined that our color would be purple. We found the cutest little dress for Ellie and at the same time found a shirt/tie combo for Ian (funny story about that is when I put it on the stairs to be taken upstairs by the boys, Josh picked it up and said, 'Oh, thank you!' I told him well, I'm glad you like it but I think it's a little small for you!) Then, I was on the hunt for shirts for Brian and Josh. Josh wanted a bold purple and it turns out that's not easy to find right now. We finally found a dark purple herringbone shirt and then a shirt for Brian but couldn't find a tie I liked for Brian. I made a stop at Family Christian one day for Easter surprises and found a great tie that matched Brian's shirt plus had some green in it that was in Ellie's dress. YEAH!! Now, to find a dress for me! Finally, the day before Easter while my parents and Ian were at home sick Brian, Ellie and I went on a last ditch shopping trip to find a dress for me. I was heading to Kohl's but when we got to where that was I saw the Dress Barn and thought, Oh, that's a good place to start! SO, we went in found some dresses with purple in it (I had really thought with it being Easter a purple dress would be easy to come by but boy was I wrong!) and headed to the dressing room. I put one on that I thought was cute came out to show it to Brian and the lady who had been helping us was looking and finally says, "If you want my honest opinion I don't think that dress does you any favors!" WOW!! I thought that was pretty bold. So, she goes in search of some other dresses for me. In the meantime I'd found another dress that I liked (not for Easter but they were having a "Buy 2 dresses and save $10 deal" so I, of course, had to try another one on) and tried it on and as soon as Brian saw me in it he says "Well, we're buying that one, now we just have to find an Easter dress for you!" That made me feel so good. I really did like the dress and it turns out Brian's been looking for a dress for me for a while that was kind of that style. ANYWAY, the sales lady came back with a couple of dresses. One I flat out didn't like and the other that was a stretch for me pattern wise but did have the purple in it so I tried it on. Okay, I don't normally like to mention what size I'm wearing but I really couldn't believe we started with a size 8 dress but I ended up buying a size 4!! WOW! Now, before I get too big of a head here, let me tell you that the other dress I bought that Brian really liked was a size 8 so it's not like I've somehow shrunk that much in the last couple of months!! Anyway, you can see in the Easter pictures how it all came together - you might have to look closely at my dress to see the purple but it's in there and I really did like the dress and felt very much in style although I know that really shouldn't matter!! After being pregnant then not really being able to wear my own clothes for a while and now to have a new dress it just felt good - you know the feeling of wearing something that makes you feel confident. SO, there you have it - how our Easter outfits came together!!

Saturday when Brian went to get Ellie up from her nap, he called me and asked me to come there. He said, nothing's wrong, just come see this. I walked in and Ellie was sitting up with her back against the side of her bed! That's the first time she's sat up on her own. WOW! Won't be long and we'll walk in to find her standing up - she likes to pull herself up with my fingers so I figure it probably won't be too long!

One final thought or something to report. My baby has a date to the prom!! Okay, it's my 16 year old baby but he's going to Prom! He asked his friend from his last production (yes, the one he kissed) and she said yes. They are just friends and plan to remain that way but they are going to prom. She is homeschooled so this may be her only time to go (unless she is asked next year by someone). Would you like to know how he asked her? Well, her name is Jaynie (sp?) and her friends always like to joke with her about the song "Jaynie's got a gun." So, when we were in Gulf Shores, Josh bought a fake gun for her. I told him, wouldn't it be fun to ask her in a unique way (since he'd already decided to ask her) maybe by using the gun to do it. He didn't like my suggestion of "Gun-na go with me to the prom?" (You laughed, didn't you?!) He decided to ask the question on a little piece of paper and roll it up and put it in the "revolver part." So, last Saturday while at a picnic with friends from acting class, he gave it to her. She said she would have to ask her parents and they ended up telling her she needed to make the decision. Sunday she and Josh talked and cleared up the fact that they would still be "just friends" and she agreed to go with him. Prom is April 18th so now we are planning all the details and Josh is trying to figure out how to have enough money to do everything!!

3 comments:

Amy Kilpatrick said...

I love the purple!

Size 4? Unbelievable...LOL! Only in my dreams! ;o)

Hartman said...

That is great that you found a dress you are confident in....Dresses are not the easiest thing for me to buy but I don't really spend that much time looking for one either. Maybe that is part of my problem.

How nice it would be if if was as easy as shopping for a dress for Autumn. Find a dress in the right size that you like and off to the cashier you go.

Make sure to add pictures from the prom...that handsome Josh!!

leanne said...

The Easter pics look great. I'm not at all surprised at your size 4 dress no matter what you say!

And, I absolutely cannot believe that Squash is going to Prom. It seems like we were just at his 2 year old Barney birthday party! Does this mean we are getting old?