Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy St Patty's Day (a little late)!

We don't normally make a "big" deal about St Patrick's Day other than wearing something green but this year I was inspired when I found a package of "corned beef" at the commissary. It was ready to go, all you had to do was cook it. I've never made corned beef before and, to be honest, I haven't really been that fond of it but I knew Brian liked corned beef so I thought I'd give it a go! Although Brian likes corned beef he doesn't like the cabbage that most folks put with it so I came up with some other stuff. One thing I decided to make was somewhat of an homage to my friend, Amy, (who we used to celebrate St Patty's Day with when we lived near each other) and that was to make pierogies to go with it. Now, I'm one to know a good thing when I see it so I opted for the easier already made kind by Mrs T instead of making them from scratch (but maybe one day). The rest of the menu included green beans and salad plus I just had to try and make my own green beer. I couldn't decide if you add green or blue food coloring to make it green. Since it's "sort of" yellow I went with blue remembering of course that blue and yellow make green. Well, it turns out that's not the case for beer! It made it BLUE!! So, I had to use green food coloring. So, note to self for any of you who might want to do it in the future - use green food coloring! For dessert Ian and I made some cups of lime jello to top of our green meal. We had Irish music playing in the background and the only plates I have that have green in them are our fine china ones so when Brian and Ian got home from Ian's hockey practice, I had the table nicely set with our fine china AND our newely acquired silver (Ellie's inheritance from Brian's parents - it was theirs but they never use it so decided to give us her inheritance early!). When Brian got home and saw all that I had done he asked me, "So, when did we turn Irish?" Like I said, I was inspired and I went with it and we had a fun time making memories as a family. Now, the question is do you know the REAL reason we celebrate St Patrick's Day? As a Christian it's great to know that he was a real person who spent his life trying to convert the Irish to Christianity and the Lord used him mightily. IF you'd like to do some reading up on the history of Patrick and the Irish please go here.
Click to play this Smilebox greeting: St Patty's 09
Create your own greeting - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox greeting

No comments: