Monday, March 23, 2009

What I did Today

You're never going to guess what I did today!! I was really looking forward to my aerobics class today (I try to go Monday - Friday for the 9am class and I really like the Monday, Friday class: Body Sculpt) because I felt like all we did over the weekend was eat so I was really looking forward to working out. Well, we were about 10 minutes into the class and were doing an excersize with dumbells where you bend over at the waist (with knees slightly bent) and then back up. On the very last one, on my way up my back had SHARP, Shooting pains go through it and I even saw a few stars. Well, I was really hoping to just stretch it out and keep going but the instructor and a friend in the class both said I should probably stop and go get a warm pack to put on it. I went to the front desk to get one but all they had was cold so I was contemplating what to do while my back is still hurting pretty bad. I saw my friend Holly and she thought I should go to the clinic. We finally ended up calling Brian and he came to help me. We rounded up the kids from the fit 'n' fun area and drove to the clinic. I hate this! As I told Brian, I'd almost prefer I'd broken something so I'd feel justified at being in pain. I feel like I have a pretty high thresh-hold for pain so I really hate feeling like a wimp. We weren't sure they would be able to see me or not but after about 2 hours I was finally seen. And, of course, all they recommend is stretching and some muscle relaxers and pain medication. I also hate feeling like I've wasted mine and Brian's time! So, here I am at home laying on the couch doing some reading/blogging and email and probably, although I haven't yet, facebooking. Ellie's napping and Ian's doing some writing work. I had a nice warm bath and took some Motrin so I'm sure I'll be feeling good soon. So much for a good workout today!

Wanna know something a little bit ironic about all of this? Just this morning during my quiet time I was praying that I would be more compassionate. As I stated earlier, I have a high tolerance for pain so I expect others to have the same and I'm not always as sympathetic as I probably should be. Well, what's the best way to learn compassion/sympathy? To go through it yourself, of course!! Don't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor or that he doesn't hear us when we pray! WOW! I almost felt like the passage in Daniel when it says AS Daniel was praying, the Lord sent out His angel (Daniel 9:20-23). How awesome is that!! When we moved to Alabama, Brian hurt his back and was unable to help with the unloading and all with the packers and I must be honest in saying I wasn't very sympathetic. So, now I know. It HURTS and you feel helpless because you feel like it SHOULDN'T hurt. Thank you, Lord, for giving me a lesson in compassion that I won't soon forget!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your back! Back injuries are terrible. Stay away from heat, though--ice is what you need at the beginning of an injury!! Try some ice and take it easy--I'll pray for a quick recovery!

Amy Kilpatrick said...

Yes, sometimes we learn the hard way! Just keep relaxing and you'll be feeling better in no time! I'll be praying for ya!