Friday, January 25, 2008

Teenagers

Well, I haven't been as pleased with my teenager lately as I would like to be. Perhaps we haven't been as hard on him lately? He seems to think he's able to make his own rules - knowing full well what our expecations are. Last night for instance I was upstairs putting Ian to bed when I heard Josh on the phone - yes, he was actually TALKING on the phone, not texting!!!! (it was 9:40pm - Ian and I had just gotten home from our date). He is supposed to be in bed with the lights out at 10pm so with him on the phone and still not showered I knew he was running behind. SO, I told him he needed to be getting off the phone and heading to the shower. Well, at 9:59pm I had to tell him again!! Then, he finally got in the shower a little after 10pm which means he probably wasn't lights out until 10:30pm or so. Now, I know he's a Junior in high school and I also know I was up late on school nights but this boy just won't get up if he isn't in bed at a decent hour!! To be honest he takes after me in that respect but I'm the MOM!! {smile} Plus, he knows the rules and he chooses to break them. So, now we are thinking about having him bring his phone downstairs at 9:30pm so he'll be in bed on time.

Then, there's the whole money issue. We've told Josh for years that in order for him to have a car, he will buy Brian's car for the cost of Brian's replacement car's first car payment so, roughly, around $400. Well, here we are only a couple of months away from the time he'll be able to get his license and the boy has NO MONEY!! We've been trying to get the boy to get a job for months and he's put in a couple of applications only because we made him and he's had one application for a couple of weeks now that he continues to not ask his teacher for his number as a reference for. ARGH! The last few mornings on the way to school I've done nothing but nag the boy and I hate it! It's not like he has a ton of homework filling up his afternoons so he could really use a job to fill up some time and pay for all of his "extra-curricular" activities.

Oh, one more thing. We've told him for a while that he is unable to "date" until he finishes a series that he and Brian started going through years ago in Ohio that establishes him as "man" with Christian values and integrity - sort of a rite of passage thing. Well, he and Brian have started back at it but we just found out last weekend that Josh is "in a relationship" (as his myspace says). When we questioned Josh about it he said - you didn't say I couldn't have a girlfriend, just that I couldn't go on dates!!!! Tell me if I'm wrong but did I miss something? Teenagers!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll have all sorts of wisdom to pass on once we reach that stage. ;-)

Amy Kilpatrick said...

And girls are supposed to be harder as teenagers! Can't wait til then! It just goes to show how specific you have to be about expectations and rules! Whew! Keep up your great parenting!