Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How we spent the day off


I love three day weekends! This time I was especially glad it was a three day weekend because we were so busy on Saturday that it felt like another day of the week so having Monday off just helped it to feel more like an actual weekend!

Monday morning I got up and went to a body sculpt aerobics class and when I got home Brian had made french toast for breakfast! Yum! Then, we finally opened a new Wii game my brother and his family sent us for Christmas. We were waiting until we were all together to play so it was finally the day! It's called Outdoor Adventure and it's a lot of fun plus physically demanding! So, after just doing aerobics I was starting to feel a bit wiped out and it wasn't even noon! Then, we decided that since we are experiencing a little bit of a heat wave right now with temperatures in the 20's it was the right time to finally do the sledding we've been talking about! After Ellie had her nap, we got bundled up and headed out to Turtle River (the same place we went for Ian's birthday back in August) that's only about 7 miles from our house - we'd heard there was a good sledding hill there. The only sleds we have are a metal disc one that was Brian's and a plastic one we got for Josh when we lived in Ohio so we weren't necessarily geared up sled wise but we were ready to have fun. It turns out the hill is quite a nice little hill and Ellie and I were the first ones to go down on the metal disc sled. We started from the top and as we were going down I had the thought of "I hope I didn't make the wrong choice going down with Ellie first without having done it myself!" We got a pretty good speed going and went over a few bumps that made us really bounce and I was so afraid I would lose her! BUT, I didn't lose her - just her boot and my hat! She said she wanted to do it again, though, so we went a few more times (not starting from as high up after the first run). After about the 4th time down she conveyed she was done so Brian took her to the warming house. I was very impressed that she did it and then wanted to do it again so she's got some guts! The boys had a good time, too, and of course the hardest part of sledding is going back UP the hill! Brian had taken a bad fall while ice skating with Ian on Sunday at the outdoor rink on base so he wasn't as interested in doing too much sledding but did finally do a run right before we left. I'd brought along hot chocolate so we all had a cup then did one more run and headed for home where I had a nice pot of chili waiting for us! What a perfect North Dakota day! Oh, and yes, I was hurting the next day after the aerobics, the Wii game and the sledding!


A note about the pictures - it turns out Ellie's hat is on backwards so that's why it looks a little awkward. The photo on the left is a picture of Ian going down the hill!

No comments: