Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Church and other deep thoughts!

Unlike some of the blogging I was doing in Alabama, I haven't done a whole lot of "deep thoughts" in a while. I was pondering this the other day as to what might have caused this change and a couple of thoughts came to mind: 1. I'm a little busier now with homeschooling and actually trying to get my business going with Stampin' Up! (R) again. 2. Brian and I have a little more time together now (don't know how but it's true) so I can chat more with him about things. 3. I've gotten a little bit addicted to Facebook and spend entirely too much time on that (wow, can't believe I actually admitted that on here!!!). Anyway, whatever the reason, it hasn't happened as much so I find I'm "searching" for things to blog about. It's not that we're any less exciting now than we were mere months ago, is it?! No, it can't be! We're definitely just as busy doing things but it's funny because I still feel like the pace has slowed down and I think it has a lot to do with WHERE we live!! Maybe I'm not such a city rat after all?!?! Nah, I still love the thrills of the city but perhaps I enjoy visiting it more than living in it. Moving on....

We are now living in the land of a plethora of churches to choose from - as long as you're Lutheran. Since we aren't it's been a little bit more of a challenge to find where the Lord wanted us to be during our time here. We have visited four churches and it turns out that it's not a good idea to visit churches during the summer here because none of their usual activities are actually going on and you have to revisit them all again once school starts back to really get a feel of the place. We think we have finally settled on a church and we're starting to try and get involved. The name of the church is Faith Evangelical Free Church and it is in the process of getting a new pastor. Their pastor before had been with them, if I remember correctly, something like 30 years and just retired. The pastor they've hired is a younger guy with a young family and he's coming in from California. He's here and getting settled and should be starting soon. We're hoping (we heard him preach while he was out here for his "interview") that his youth and vibrance will really be just what the church needs. Ian, Ellie and I went last week for the Wednesday night dinner so that Ian could then go to the children's choir and activities. (One of the things he asked me about before we moved here was if he could do choir this year so it was one of the considerations when looking at a church). Ian really enjoyed the activities and I ended up helping the MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) steering committee get set up for their meeting the next morning. They convinced me I should go so I did the next day and really enjoyed it. It's now going to be a normal part of our routine and I'm looking forward to it (especially because most of the good friends I had in VA were friends I'd made through MOPS). Anyway, Brian brought Josh for the youth group and he really enjoyed that, too, so that was all we needed to know! We have really been praying about it and didn't really feel the Lord pulling us strongly in any direction but I think he's been quietly leading us there just through the people we've met.

No comments: