Thursday, April 10, 2008

I've Started Jogging!

I'm finally doing it, I'm jogging! I have been wanting to for a while now since Brian seems to enjoy it so much but I always had this whole mental block thing going. Before I got pregnant with Ellie I could go to the gym and do a 5K on the treadmill there but as soon as I got outside and tried to run I couldn't get much further than a few minutes down the road. Well, while Ian was on Spring Break a couple of weeks ago, we invited our neighbor to go walking with us. During our walk she says to me, "You know, your pace is just about at a jogging pace." So, I got to thinking about that and last week while I was out walking I decided to just pick my feet up a little more so it was more like a jog and it wasn't too bad! I did it in spurts that time but decided to try more continual spurts next time. Well, they also say when you start trying to run you shouldn't do it everyday so I've been sticking with that. I walked on Monday but on Tuesday I had it in my head I would jog at least part of my 2 1/2 mile walk I do. So, I walked about a mile of it and then started jogging. I actually jogged about 12 minutes - so right about a mile and it wasn't too bad! I just walked yesterday with Brian but today I jogged some more and I did about 15 minutes of jogging after walking for 5 minutes. I'm "pleased as punch!" I will keep it around 15 minutes for the next couple of times then try and push it up to 20 minutes. I just had to adjust in my head the reality of pace. I think, before, when I would go out to run - I was trying to full out run rather than just picking up my feet a little bit more than I was actually doing. So, obviously, I'm not out to win any races but I feel good that, I hope, my mental block is over!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Good for you! I'm getting back into running (consistently) after many "false starts" this year, ha! Truly if you can get past the mental block, you'll surprise yourself at how much you can do. Our bodies are amazing things!

Hartman said...

That is fantastic Joy...good for you!!